27 February 2007

Google Earth



I was wasting some time on Google Earth today and thought I would take a look at Baghdad in Iraq. Why not, right? There was a brief stroke of fear about whether or not the secret service would be knocking on my door. Not that I care. It's a free country and the information isn't being withheld from the public.

To make a long story short, I was dragging the earth across my desktop and this monstrosity of a building that you're looking at came into view. I actually had to zoom out to see the whole image. I don't know if this is the capital, a mosque, or one of Saddam's palaces, but it's design is very interesting...from a birds eye perspective at least.

4/8/08- Update
A friend of mine from Iraq identified this structure as the "Nasb Al-Shaheed", a place where soldiers from the Iraq-Iran war were buried.

No comments: